Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

"grayson" loafers

IMG_3654

Oh my, I knit this lovely little loafers up for my team teacher's new baby boy, Grayson. He isn't due for a couple weeks still, but he will be the talk of the town in his new outfit, if I do say so myself.

Mayo Set

The booties are simple and great for newbies. Whip them up in one night, no problem.

I tried them on my newbie and they were a bit tight but stayed on great. Granted..she isn't really a newbie anymore at 3 months. But I made her some similar ones that were a perfect from birth. And these fit because they are wool, so they stretch.

IMG_3724

I need to rework them so I can share better gauge info, but for now, what I can offer...

Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted Merino >100yds
Needle: US8 DPNs
Gauge: approx 4.5-4.75spi in stockinette flat

Bootie.

CO 8
work 21 rows in garter (knit every row)

turn 45 degrees, pick up 11 stitches down the left side, 8 across the other end, and 11 across the last side. You will now knit in the round.

Work until you have 4 garter ridges ending after a purl row.

knit 19

k7, ssk, turn work

Next Row: slip as if to purl, P6, p2tog, turn
Next Row: slip as if to knit, K6, ssk, turn

Repeat the above rows until you only have 16 live stitches.

Next: slip as if to knit, K6, ssk, knit the last three stitches that you never got to because you started the short rows above.

Purl BO the rest of the stitches. Note that when you get to the last p2tog you did (although you will now be on the right side) there will be a gap. You should have on stitch on your right side needle and then the gap. k2tog for the next two stitches to close the gap then bind off that stitch. then continue binding off as normal. Hope that makes sense.

Strap.

Pick up 5 stitches along the top garter bump. Make sure for each shoe you do this on a different side so that one strap over to the right and one to the left.

Work in seed stitch until the strap is the length you want. BO leaving a long tail so that you can attach the button and sew down the strap.

Then...obviously, attach the button first and then i just sew the edge of the strap down.

IMG_3726

Please note: I've done NO testing for this pattern. But I think I got it pretty darn close to being right. But it's free...so a mistake may be found. I make no promises.

8 comments:

Julie said...

those little shoes are so cute!! what a fantastic ensemble outfit. Thanks for the pattern!!

rosalia said...

Very cute!

Jenny said...

Thanks so much for sharing your pattern. I've run across a few problem areas and I think it's because I don't understand what you mean. I've gotten up to k7, ssk, turn work, but I don't understand what you mean by 'turn work'. The subsequent rows gave me heck also. Are you supposed to maintain the same stitches on each needle? Lastly, does 'live' stitches include the ones you slipped as if to knit/purl?

Sorry for my ignorance! I have 2 friends who are having baby boys and I just loved these 'boyish' looking booties!

Thanks so much for your help!

teresa cole said...

Hi Jenny.

Sorry for the confusion. You are actually making short rows that will shape the toe. So, just like it says, turn the work and start working back as if you are knitting flat for this part.

Does that help?

Jenny said...

It did help. Thanks so much! Mine didn't turn out quite as cute as yours, but the moms-to-be really loved them. Thanks again for sharing! Here's a link to the pairs I made http://knittingjennypie.blogspot.com/2010/08/booties-for-boys.html

Jessica said...

Do you also have the pattern for the pants and vest??

teresa cole said...

The pants pattern is my own, but Sheepy Pants is very similar.

The vest is the Making Mischief vest.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ComfortWool/making-mischief-vest

I modified it to include the cable and the button shoulder.

Hilary Lemon said...

Coming over here from Ravelry, these shoes are too cute!