Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Super-Natural Stripes Beanie

This is a newborn beanie I knit up for my impending little one.

Its based on the Super-Natural Stripes by Fawn Pea.

The pictures are unblocked...as, well, I'm normally too lazy to block for my own children. And this hat was done in colorway to match the sweater I'm making, so I didn't do the color changes that go with her sweater. That part could be easy enough if you wanted to modify the pattern to match a solid. I've included notes about how to follow her color changes.

hat

Gauge 4.75 spi and 6 rows per inch
Needle #8, 16" and DPNs
Yarn: Worsted-Aran. I used single-ply Purewool dyed by Yarnoodles
Final Sizes:
Newborn 12.6" around and
Small 14.7" around and 6.7" from brim
Medium 17.9" around and 8.1" from brim
Large: 20" around and 9.1" from brim

None of the sizes other then newborn have been knit by me. But estimates have been made using KnittingFiend tools for crown decreases.

Instructions:

CO 61 [71, 86, 96] (I did this with colorway. If you want follow her color repeats, cast on with B)
Join by knitting the first stitch, slipping last CO stitch over it, essentially binding off. You will end with 60 [70,85,95] stitches.

Round 1: Purl
Round 2: Knit
Round 3: Purl (Following her pattern, switch to MC)
Round 4: Knit
Round 5 - 8: Knit
Round 9: Purl with new color. (In my case, this was a change from colorway to solid. According to her pattern, you would change to color A.)
Round 10-14: Knit
Round 15: Purl with new color. (I simply changed back to colorway. Following her pattern, you would now change to color B)
Round 16-20: Knit
Round 21: Purl (I stayed with colorway. According to her pattern, change to color C.)
Round 22-26: Knit
Round 27: Purl (I stayed with colorway. According to her pattern, change to color A.)
Round 28-32: Knit
Round 33: Purl
(I stayed with colorway. According to her pattern, change to MC.)

Stop at round 33 for newborn. For larger sizes: Continue knitting in color change pattern until hat measures (4.9", 5.6", 6.3") from brim. Or continue in MC for all stripes after Row 33. Or you can simple stop knitting purl rows and knit strictly in stockinette stitch until the top. I like all stripes, but the choice is yours.

Next Round
: k2, *pm, k12 (14, 17, 19) * four times, k10 (12, 15, 17)

IMG_0977

Decreases
Rounds start two stitches before first marker. I suggest making your starting marker a different color to avoid confusion.

Round 1: *k2tog, sm, ssk* knit to two before next marker and repeat all the way around.
Round 2: Knit
Round 3:
*k2tog, sm, ssk* knit to two before next marker and repeat all the way around.

Repeat rounds two and three until there are only two stitches between each marker.

Break yarn, thread through final stitches.

Weave in and enjoy.

IMG_0988

As always, please feel free to print off a hard copy but do not try to sell or distribute this pattern in any way shape or form, for free or for resale. Also, items may be knit for personal use, gifting, or charity, but not for sale.

Thank you.

3 comments:

AuntieErnie said...

I'm in love with this yarn- what is it?

teresa cole said...

It is actually from Yarnoodles called "Namibia"

www.hyenacart.com/yarnoodles

thanks!

Dr Tim Howden ND BHSc MNHAA said...

Hi, I im an Aussie knitter. Do you know if single ply translates to 8 ply?